It is 100 years since the end of the Great War. For those four years people’s lives would have been dominated by the conflict. This is how the Great War, as it affected the parish, was recorded.
First in a series ‘From Parish Archives’ – get ready to be fascinated!
Oct 1914 Select Vestry agreed to a request that the hall would be used two nights a week for military drill. Permission was granted on the understanding that the object was to ‘organise this drill for the sole purpose of fitting men in this district to join Lord Kitchener’s army.’ ‘Further that the organisation shall be entirely non-political and non-sectarian and that this proviso shall appear on any poster or circular which may be issued.’
July 1915 Resolution conveying sympathy to Mr and Mrs Marrable on the death of their son at Gallipoli. Also congratulations to Capt. Keith that his health had improved sufficiently to enable him to return home.
September 1916 Agreed to convey sympathy to Mr Arthur Hamilton and Mr W.J. Nelson who had each lost a son at the Front.
November 1916 Sympathy conveyed to Mr W.H. Wilson on the death of his youngest son at the Front.
Application from Arthur Hamilton, Hollybrook, Foxrock to erect a mural tablet in memory of his son 2nd Lieut Geoffrey Hamilton. It was proposed to erect it over his pew. It was approved subject to a design change (they didn’t like the black marble which was proposed). It was agreed that a fee of 1/- (1 shilling) be charged. (Converts to €5.70 nowadays.)
October 1918. Expressions of sympathy were made to Sir Edward and Lady O’Farrell and Mrs Halpin on the deaths of their sons at the Front.
December 1918 An application was received from Mr. W.H. Wilson of Carrickmines House to erect a memorial in the form of a stained glass window in memory of his three sons killed in action. The application was approved unanimously. (In the minutes of February 1919 it was clear that the suggestion for the memorial originated with friends of Charles Wilson.)
February 1919 Mr Richard Orpen (architect, brother of artist William Orpen and resident of Coologue, Carrickmines) proposed a design for a memorial outside the church. There was much discussion about the criteria for being listed on the memorial. A general meeting of the congregation was held to decide.
April 1919 The design for the Wilson window was submitted by R.C. Orpen and was unanimously approved. The design was submitted to the archbishop.
November 1919. A letter was received from Mrs Bewley, Lady Divisional Superintendent, St. John’s Ambulance Brigade stating that the members of the Carrickmines Nursing Division were anxious to place a memorial in Tullow Church to the memory of their late fellow member Miss Sophia Violet Barrett (who was on board the MV Leinster). The suggestion of a large silver chalice was gratefully accepted.
With thanks to the RCB where the minute books are held. Italics and brackets are clarifications.